Monday, May 31, 2010

Ubud Good


Had a fun dinner last night with runner Di and her husband Ron at Cafe des Artistes. They've travelled a lot and have lots of fun stories. I really enjoy Di's company. She and I ran again this morning, then met up twice more: at Bali Buddha mid-morning and at Tegal Sari in the early afternoon. (During our run Di spotted Wayan, the healer from Elizabeth Gilbert's book "Eat, Pray, Love", who she knows from previous visits to Ubud and who was also out running!) We spent time at Bali Buddha with Canadian Cat Wheeler, who is a really amazing woman-around-town and author of "Dragons in the Bath": a collection of her columns from the "Bali Advertiser" about her life (and issues) in Ubud. I've been reading this over the past week and loving it. Cat's involved in many projects aimed at helping local people become self-supporting, kids become readers, dogs become vaccinated and rabies-free, etc. I donated my security deposit on the villa, refunded by Sue, to Rotary to buy books for a mobile library for elementary schools. Good to talk with Sue over lunch. She's the incoming president of Rotary. People here all have amazing stories.

I spent some time at Tegal Sari sorting rooms for when Therese and JB visit in December. I'll do something similar for when Jules and Yvonne visit in January. Worked for two hours on the terrace.

Tomorrow I fly to Kuching, Malaysia, where I'll finish the job that has dominated my life for the past two months and start a new book for my Singapore client – my sixth (?) by this particular author!

I've really enjoyed visiting Ubud and meeting some of the locals... A fascinating place!

No comments:

Post a Comment