Thursday, August 1, 2013

Summer in the city


For the past couple of weeks I've been following Maria's marathon training program. I have one of my own, but I haven't looked at it...! I really value the social aspects of running and training, and improved fitness is a by-product of that. Having said that, I'm quite competitive! Hopefully, I'm fit enough to run reasonably well in a couple of races later this week in Ireland. I'm flying out tonight. The only reason I'm not throwing a huge tantrum about leaving New York is that I'm planning to be back at the start of October for another ten weeks.

Highlights of the past few weeks include walking and talking the length of Fifth Avenue with Jonathan, a friend from Brisbane; seeing "The Trip to Bountiful" (Cicely Tyson, Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Vanessa Williams) on Broadway with Diane; catching up again with Dominic (from Tokyo), Joe (from Babylon, NY and Bali), Selena (we both spoke at a school careers day in Brooklyn last spring) and Tavia (my teammate from the 2009 Green Mountain Relay in Vermont); attending a runners party at Joanne's home in Pelham, NY; and regular meetups with other friends who live in my neighbourhood. More films: "Terms and Conditions May Apply"; "Fruitvale Station"; "Museum Hours" (set in Vienna, which I hope to visit in September); "Blue Jasmine"; "First Comes Love" and "Nicky's Family" (about the rescue of Jewish children from Prague by Nicky Walton in the months leading up to the start of the Second World War, and the ripple effect his actions have had).


No comments:

Post a Comment